Vision: Towards a Sustainable Waste Management & Pest Control System In The Emirate Of Abu Dhabi
Mission: Building Integrated Systems For Waste Management & Pest Control, & Providing Added Value Services To Customers & Society In Accordance With Approved Standards & Practices Through Building Effective Partnerships & Investment Of Assets, Financial, Human, & Technical Resources In Pursuit Of Sustainability By Conserving Natural Resources & Creating a Responsible Society That Contributes To Reducing Of Waste Generation & To Transform Waste Into An Economic Pillar For The Emirate Of Abu Dhabi.
Abu Dhabi Waste Management Centre – TADWEER is the lead agency responsible for controlling and coordinating waste management activities throughout the Emirate including the policy, strategy and contractual systems. Law 17 of 2008 established The Centre of Waste Management – Abu Dhabi in coordination with the competent authority, Environment Agency – Abu Dhabi, CWM is the Emirate’s lead entity responsible for managing solid waste (including hazardous waste) throughout the Emirate. Only environmental service providers (ESPs) licensed by Abu Dhabi Waste Management Centre – TADWEER are allowed to handle waste in the Emirate. Licensees include those involved in open competition for waste handling services per Abu Dhabi Waste Management Centre – TADWEER requirements, as well as zonal contractors and concessionaires.
Abu Dhabi Waste Management Centre – TADWEER waste management activities include the policy, planning, strategy and contractual activities, including:
- Policy: Establishing solid waste policy (including engaging and communicating with stakeholders)
- Planning: Planning solid waste infrastructure and services (including collection system upgrade)
- Standards: Setting standards with respect to both waste management competence and technology
- Regulation: Providing guidance and technical input to the competent and executive authorities regarding promulgating regulations with respect to solid waste
- Registration: Registering providers of solid waste collection and transfer services for different types of waste (C&D, apartments, industrial, commercial, metal, green waste as well as medical and hazardous waste); registering providers of pest control services. (CWM has contracted with a private contractor to issue licenses and registration)
- Licenses: Issuing licenses for waste clean-up, trade and treatment to environmental service providers, as well as for pest control
- Registration. Registering providers of solid waste collection and transfer services for different types of waste (C&D, apartments, industrial, commercial, metal, green waste as well as medical and hazardous waste); registering providers of pest control services. (CWM has contracted with a private contractor to issue licenses and registration)
- Data: Collecting and managing solid waste data, waste producer data, and waste by-product market data
- Public Awareness: Developing public education and inviting public involvement in waste management systems of shared responsibility and cooperation between government and the public.
- Contract Procurement: Procuring, awarding, managing, and monitoring solid waste projects and contracts related to solid waste reduction, recycling, collection, treatment and disposal, including public cleaning and sweeping
Tadweer is the key government entity responsible for all activities related to the development of waste management services in the emirate of Abu Dhabi, including the collection, transportation, treatment and disposal of waste in a safe, efficient and economical manner. The Centre is also tasked with carrying out pest control, educating communities about the significance of protecting the environment, and encouraging them to adopt sound environmental habits to drive sustainable development.
For more information, visit https://www.tadweer.gov.ae/en/
United Arab Emirates